Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Clair's Defeat - 230th Anniversary
(08-16-2021, 12:24 PM)mingusboodle Wrote: Is anyone interested in taking a trip to Fort Recovery this Autumn?

On 4 November 1791, the United States Army suffered one of their worst defeats in history near the present-day Indiana/Ohio border.  The infantry and militia under General Arthur St. Clair were conducting a punitive campaign against the Native Nations in the region, when those nations- led by Little Turtle and Blue Jacket- decided to bring the campaign to a premature conclusion.  70% of the U.S. force and support personnel were killed on site, many of them Revolutionary War veterans.  The overall casualty rate was more than 97%, among the worst in U.S. Army history.

General Anthony Wayne would later build Fort Recovery at the site of St. Clair's defeat.  The battle is largely forgotten, except among military historians.

The Fort Recovery museum is planning a battlefield walk on Sunday, 24 October 2021, to commemorate the 230th anniversary.  It is a two hour walk led by historians.  This might be an opportune time to visit, but we must register for the event, and no one has yet been able to tell me how to register.  If we have a group that would like to attend, I could let them know we're coming.  We could also pick another date and simply explore the area on our own.

http://www.fortrecoverymuseum.com/

I got an answer on registration. You simply need to send an email to let them know you're coming. The address is:
Fortrecoverystatemuseum@yahoo.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: St. Clair's Defeat - 230th Anniversary - by mingusboodle - 09-09-2021, 12:43 PM